Ridesharing and the Insurance Risks


Ridesharing has become a very popular way of getting around. It is an easy, reasonable, and very convenient way of getting around. However passengers and drivers may not be aware of the insurance risks involved.

What is Ridesharing?

In case you haven’t heard of ridesharing,  it is not the same as using a taxi or limousine. It is a way for vehicle owners to transport passengers in their own cars for a small fee. Passengers can connect with a driver through a website or a smartphone app.

Not Enough Coverage

Taxi drivers are licensed by the state and are required to carry a certain amount of insurance coverage. Transportation companies such as Uber or Lyft are not subject to the same requirements. Although these companies provide some insurance coverage, it is usually not enough. In fact, consumer alerts have been issued to warn the public about the risks of using the ridesharing app as a passenger.

Personal Auto Issues

Many people do not realize that once they sign up to use their vehicle in a business manner or in the form of a delivery service they loose coverage under their personal auto policy. Even though your personal auto policy may have 100,000 in liability, when you sign up as a driver you may only have 30,000 in coverage under Uber or Lyft.

Contact An Agent

Ridesharing can be a very convenient tool when traveling around. Yet before using these companies as either a passenger or a driver, verify what auto insurance coverages you have. If you have questions concerning your auto policy give Barrick Insurance a call at (717) 632-7270.

Ridesharing and the Insurance Risks

Personal Property Coverage for College Students


Preparing for college can be very exciting! It can also be a little daunting trying to make sure you have everything covered. There is so much to prepare for that some details including insurance coverage, can be overlooked. Before an auto accident or a theft should occur, it is important to review your insurance needs.

Personal Property Coverage for a Dorm

Most Homeowners policies (HO) only cover a certain amount of personal property, usually about 10%. Depending on what your child is taking to college, that limit may not be enough, especially when you start talking about electronics. It may be a good idea to increase your personal property limit on your HO policy.

Personal Property Coverage for Off-Campus Housing

Personal belongings for students living in off campus housing, are not covered under homeowner policies. Even the landlords insurance won’t cover your personal belongings. If your child is not living on campus it is best to purchase a renters policy.

Auto Insurance

Make sure to inform your insurance agent that your child is going to college. If the student is not taking the vehicle with them, a premium discount may apply. If the student is taking the vehicle, depending on the college location, rates may change as well. If your child maintains a certain GPA, you may receive a “good student discount”.

Let us give you some peace of mind! 

There are a lot of decisions to be made when your child goes to college and it can be very overwhelming. Give our office a call a (717) 632-7270 and we will answer any questions you have. We can also help you find an affordable renters policy if necessary.

Personal Property Coverage for College Students