Whether it’s a fender bender or a vehicle gets totaled, accidents can leave a driver feeling very shaken. When your nerves are on end it can be hard to think clearly. That is why it is good to know ahead of time what to do if an accident should occur.
Here are some steps to take if ever you are involved in an accident:
1) Take a deep breath and try to remain calm.
2) Check for injuries and call 911 if necessary.
3) Move out of the way of traffic as long as the accident is minor. If you are unsure of the well-being of either yourself or another driver involved, then do not move! Moving while injured may only cause more damage so wait for professionals to arrive.
4) Turn on hazard lights and set out any other safety equipment you may have, such as cones or emergency flares.
5) Call 911 and do not leave until the police arrive and have filed a report.
6) Take a picture of license plates and any damage ensued.
7) Exchange information:
- Names, phone numbers, driver license numbers, license plate numbers
- Insurance companies, policy numbers
8) Notify your insurance provider and file a claim.
Being Prepared Brings Peace of Mind
Hopefully this review gives you some confidence, knowing what do after an accident. Having a reliable agent can give you peace of mind. Barrick Insurance can help you find the right auto coverages you need and will always be there when you need assistance. Give our office a call at (717) 632-7270 or visit us online: http://www.barrickassociates.com/products/auto-insurance.