Flood Insurance


Another flash flood warning! As you watch the news you may not pay much mind to it. After all, isn’t that what homeowners insurance is for?

What is Covered?

Homeowners Insurance will not cover water damage due to flooding.  You must purchase a separate flood insurance policy for that. You would need a policy through the government funded program known as the National Flood Insurance Program. This program covers physical loss caused by:

  • Floods & related erosion
  • Severe rainstorms
  • Flash floods
  • Hurricanes
  • Snow melt

The structure of your home as well as some personal property are covered including:

  • Building furnace & Water Heater
  • Refrigerators, cook stoves, and other built in appliances
  • Debris removal
  • Clothing, furniture, and other valuable items
  • Food freezers & their contents

Even if you do not live in a flood zone, it is a good idea to purchase flood insurance. About 25% of all claims occur in “low-to-moderate risk areas”. You may be eligible for a low cost Preferred Risk Policy.

Purchasing Flood Insurance

Unlike your home or auto, you cannot price shop due to the Federal government setting the rates. You can purchase flood insurance through your local agent. Barrick Insurance can help answer any questions that you may have. Give our office a call at (717) 632-7270.

Flood Insurance

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s