The Value of Renters Insurance

Some tenants might assume that their landlord’s insurance will cover their personal property. The truth is that a Landlord’s policy gives coverage to rebuild or repair the actual building. Your personal property would have no coverage.

For Rent

Renters Policy Coverages

Renters Insurance covers more than just personal property. It also covers

  • Medical Payments- covers minor injuries caused by you or your family members
  • Additional Living Expenses- pays for you to stay somewhere else like a hotel, if your rental would become inhabitable due to a covered loss
  • Liability- extra protection for legal expenses in the case you are found legally responsible for damage to others or their property

Your Personal Property

Some may reason that their property isn’t worth enough to buy renters insurance. However,  if you were to take an inventory of the things you own, you might be surprised at the value of your belongings. Take for example your television and it’s accessories, furniture, clothes, and other electronics. Would you be able to replace all of that out of your own pocket? Probably not!

Make a Smart Investment

Generally a renters policy only cost about $15.00 to $30.00 a month, depending on the coverage limits. For a dollar a day you can protect your possessions and much more.  Call Barrick Insurance (717) 632-7270 to receive a free Renters Quote and some peace of mind.



The Value of Renters Insurance

The Importance of First Named Insured

Auto Insurance.jpg

An insured is anyone covered under an insurance policy. Many of us already know that. However,  there is a small difference between the insureds depending on how they are listed on a policy.

When you receive your auto policy in the mail, one of the first pages is usually the Declarations page. On the Declarations page there is usually a block that list the named insureds. There is a separate section listing all of the drivers on the policy. This brings up the question,  does it matter who is listed as the First Named Insured?

Insureds – Named, First Named, Additional

  • A Named Insured is anyone specifically named on the declarations page.
  • First Named Insured is the first person listed on the Dec page. This person represents all insureds on the policy and has the main responsibility of paying premiums, making changes, and cancelling the policy. They would also be the ones accepting any returned premiums.
  • An Additional Insured is someone not named on the Dec page but has been added to the policy through an endorsement. Thus they have coverage as well.

Review Your Insurance Policy

The next time you receive your new insurance policy make sure to look it over. Whoever is the First Named Insured will be acting as a legal agent for all named insureds. So make sure it is someone responsible and reliable. If you have any further questions regarding your insurance policy give Barrick Insurance a call at (717) 632-7270.



The Importance of First Named Insured

Lending a Vehicle to a Friend or Relative



Your friend’s car is in the shop getting inspected and he needs a car for the day. Knowing he is a safe driver you lend him your vehicle. Later that morning you get a phone call. It’s your friend calling to let you know he was in an accident with another vehicle. Your heart starts racing and a million thoughts go through your mind.

Drivers Covered Under My Insurance

Many drivers are not positive who would be covered under their auto insurance policy. Drivers covered would include:

  • Anyone living in your household, unless expressly excluded
  • Anyone whom you have given permission to drive your vehicle

Many people think that car insurance follows the driver when actually car insurance follows the vehicle. Your own policy would be the primary coverage should an accident  occur.


Not everyone who drives your car is covered. As mentioned earlier, any driver that you have expressly excluded from your policy will obviously not have coverage. So it is important two think twice about excluding those who live in your home. Other situations not covered would include:

  • Theft
  • Non-permissive use: If you did not give your friend permission to drive your vehicle.


If your friend takes your vehicle without permission and is uninsured, your insurance will have to pay. You can also be held liable and possibly be sued for damages if:

  • You let an intoxicated/ impaired driver operate your vehicle
  • You allow an unlicensed driver to take your vehicle

Know your Insurance Coverage

It is important to know who and what is covered under your insurance. When you let someone else drive your vehicle remember that you will be the one filing the claim, paying the deductible, and accepting any rate increases. Never lend your car to someone you do not trust! Situations can vary and it is important to talk with a licensed agent before making decisions. If you have any questions and would like to speak with a knowledgeable agent contact Barrick Insurance at (717) 632-7270.

Lending a Vehicle to a Friend or Relative

What to Do After an Auto Accident

Driver Making Phone Call After Traffic Accident

Whether it’s a fender bender or a vehicle gets totaled, accidents can leave a driver feeling very shaken. When your nerves are on end it can be hard to think clearly. That is why it is good to know ahead of time what to do if an accident should occur.

Here are some steps to take if ever you are involved in an accident:

1) Take a deep breath and try to remain calm.

2) Check for injuries and call 911 if necessary.

3) Move out of the way of traffic as long as the accident is minor. If you are unsure of the well-being of either yourself or another driver involved, then do not move! Moving while injured may only cause more damage so wait for professionals to arrive.

4) Turn on hazard lights and set out any other safety equipment you may have, such as cones or emergency flares.

5) Call 911 and do not leave until the police arrive and have filed a report.

6) Take a picture of  license plates and any damage ensued.

7) Exchange information:

  • Names, phone numbers, driver license numbers, license plate numbers
  • Insurance companies, policy numbers

8) Notify your insurance provider and file a claim.

Being Prepared Brings Peace of Mind

Hopefully this review gives you some confidence, knowing what do after an accident. Having a reliable agent can give you peace of mind. Barrick Insurance can help you find the right auto coverages you need and will always be there when you need assistance.  Give our office a call at (717) 632-7270 or visit us online:







What to Do After an Auto Accident

Ridesharing and the Insurance Risks


Ridesharing has become a very popular way of getting around. It is an easy, reasonable, and very convenient way of getting around. However passengers and drivers may not be aware of the insurance risks involved.

What is Ridesharing?

In case you haven’t heard of ridesharing,  it is not the same as using a taxi or limousine. It is a way for vehicle owners to transport passengers in their own cars for a small fee. Passengers can connect with a driver through a website or a smartphone app.

Not Enough Coverage

Taxi drivers are licensed by the state and are required to carry a certain amount of insurance coverage. Transportation companies such as Uber or Lyft are not subject to the same requirements. Although these companies provide some insurance coverage, it is usually not enough. In fact, consumer alerts have been issued to warn the public about the risks of using the ridesharing app as a passenger.

Personal Auto Issues

Many people do not realize that once they sign up to use their vehicle in a business manner or in the form of a delivery service they loose coverage under their personal auto policy. Even though your personal auto policy may have 100,000 in liability, when you sign up as a driver you may only have 30,000 in coverage under Uber or Lyft.

Contact An Agent

Ridesharing can be a very convenient tool when traveling around. Yet before using these companies as either a passenger or a driver, verify what auto insurance coverages you have. If you have questions concerning your auto policy give Barrick Insurance a call at (717) 632-7270.

Ridesharing and the Insurance Risks

Personal Property Coverage for College Students


Preparing for college can be very exciting! It can also be a little daunting trying to make sure you have everything covered. There is so much to prepare for that some details including insurance coverage, can be overlooked. Before an auto accident or a theft should occur, it is important to review your insurance needs.

Personal Property Coverage for a Dorm

Most Homeowners policies (HO) only cover a certain amount of personal property, usually about 10%. Depending on what your child is taking to college, that limit may not be enough, especially when you start talking about electronics. It may be a good idea to increase your personal property limit on your HO policy.

Personal Property Coverage for Off-Campus Housing

Personal belongings for students living in off campus housing, are not covered under homeowner policies. Even the landlords insurance won’t cover your personal belongings. If your child is not living on campus it is best to purchase a renters policy.

Auto Insurance

Make sure to inform your insurance agent that your child is going to college. If the student is not taking the vehicle with them, a premium discount may apply. If the student is taking the vehicle, depending on the college location, rates may change as well. If your child maintains a certain GPA, you may receive a “good student discount”.

Let us give you some peace of mind! 

There are a lot of decisions to be made when your child goes to college and it can be very overwhelming. Give our office a call a (717) 632-7270 and we will answer any questions you have. We can also help you find an affordable renters policy if necessary.

Personal Property Coverage for College Students

Is State Minimum Coverage Enough?

Many states, including Pennsylvania, require that a driver has a certain amount of car insurance. Sometimes though, the minimum a state requires you to have, may not be enough liability coverage in the case of an accident. Having the right amount of coverage can prevent the potential for financial loss.

Liability Limits

Auto liability covers injuries to  another driver, their passengers, and your passengers. State minimum limits refer to the absolute minimal liability and property coverage required by state law, in order for you to legally own and operate your vehicle.

In Pennsylvania the minimum liability amounts are 15/30/5. This means you would have up to $15,000 per person injured in any one accident, up to $30,000 for all persons injured in any one accident, and up to $5,000 for property damage in any one accident. So if you cause $30,000 in property damages and you only have coverage up to $5,000, you will need to come up with the extra $25,000. This could put your assets at risk!

Recommended Coverage

Every circumstance and situation is different among drivers. Most insurance companies would recommend at least 100/ 300 for liability and 100,000 towards property damage. To speak with a knowledgeable agent about your liability limits feel free call Barrick Insurance at (717) 632-7270.

One person died in this three-car crash. (KATU News photo)




Is State Minimum Coverage Enough?